I absolutely love birthdays – others’ more than my own. This past weekend, I put my own twist on traditional birthday cake. It all started by turning layer cake into a decorative Bundt, then adding a burst of lemon and opting for icing instead of frosting. Different? Yes – and it made for an extra special birthday celebration for my dear step dad.
Of course, you don’t need to have a birthday on the calendar for an excuse to make this light and delectable dessert. Hope you enjoy!
xx cocoa & lace
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened natural applesauce
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- the juice of 1 Meyer lemon
- Icing: 1/2 cup 2% milk and 2-2 1/2 cups powdered sugar, plus lemon juice to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt) in an extra large mixing bowl. Make well in center. Set aside.
- Melt butter in microwave (use microwave safe bowl!).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine butter, sugar, applesauce, eggs (one at a time), extract, lemon juice, and milk.
- Gradually pour liquid ingredients into the well in the dry mixing bowl.
- Pour into a 12-cup Bundt pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until knife inserted into center comes out clean.
- Mixing icing ingredients until smooth. Drizzle over bottom of cake, then over top of cake one let out of pan.